MEETING POSTPONED: Medicinal plants of the Perth Hills from a Noongar perspective, with Marissa Verma @ DRB Nats
12 June, 7:15 pm-9:30 pm
Note: This meeting will not take place at this time. It will be re-scheduled for a later date due to COVID-19.
Medicinal plants of the Perth Hills from a Noongar perspective with Marissa Verma and how she uses them to help promote health and healing.
Friday 12 June 2020, 7.15pm-9.30pm
Venue: Woodlupine Hall, 88 Hale road, Forrestfield.
Marissa Verma is the Managing Director of Bindi Bindi Dreaming, where she is passionate about bringing Noongar culture to the community. Since 2000 she and her family-owned company have been delivering 100% authentic Aboriginal guided tours to visitors from both the Domestic and International tourism market as well local people living here in Perth and surrounds. She provides walks, talks and cultural experiences to showcase the unique Noongar culture of Perth. She also has a background in natural resource management and studied environmental science at Curtin University. Read more about Marissa’s Bindi Bindi Dreaming here: http://www.bindibindidreaming.com.au
The photo shows Marissa with two of our DRB Nats people Rob and Beth Boase from Dowerin in 2019 and Mark Tucek when they were a big hit presenting on Tuckerbush plants. Now Marissa is coming back on her own.
PLEASE NOTE VENUE: Woodlupine Hall, 88 Hale Road, Forrestfield.
It is a modern, well-equipped and large venue all on one level with easy access, inside toilets, plenty of parking and plenty of seats. We won’t be squashed up any more and we don’t have to put a numbers limit on visitors any more. It’s all good! (Thanks to the City of Kalamunda for making it possible for us.)
Target audience: This will be suitable for anyone who is interested in plants, plant medicines, Noongar culture, nature of the Perth Hills or natural history generally. This is your night. Bring the whole family, aged 6 and above, all welcome. We are an inter-generational, family friendly, high energy group. It doesn’t matter if you are a raw beginner, a passionate amateur or a professional scientist, there will be something for you. Visitors and members welcome.
- Kids’ talk – one of your younger members will be giving a 5 minutes kids’ talk – details to be announced
- Boffins talk – A member will give an 8 minutes Boffins’ talk – to be announced.
- “Nature road show”. Members and visitors are encouraged to bring items to place on the display table or to send photographs to the MC in advance, e.g. a sample flower, an insect, and so on – anything of natural history interest that has legally been obtained. If we have time, one of our experts will identify them or briefly talk about them, or the person bringing them can talk about where they saw it, etc. Photographs are particularly welcome, as everyone can see them. If you wish to show a photograph please email it, no later than the day before, to our MC for this night, and she/he will include it on her PowerPoint slides. We have a dedicated email for this purpose” DRBMC@wanaturalists.org.au
- Door prizes: You could also be the lucky winner of a door prize. We make sure there are prizes for both members and visitors.
- Raffle: We will have a great raffle – please raid your piggy bank for a bit more cash, $5 for 3 tickets. Prizes to be announced.
Time: Please come at 7.15pm or earlier if you wish, for a 7.30pm start as we start promptly. We are open from 6.45pm. We finish formal proceedings no later than 9.30pm and stay for refreshments and socialising afterwards any time up until 10.20pm.
Donation: All this for only a donation of $3 per person for adult members ($0 for child members), and $5 per adult visitor and $1 per visiting child to help with the costs of running the club, venue hire, insurance and so on. Includes tea and coffee and home-made cake and biscuits (including gluten free). Please bring the right CASH to help us avoid long queues. Thanks. We do not have EFTPOS facilities yet.
Entrance: It is a condition of entry that everyone signs in on arrival, thank you.
Parking: Free parking right outside.
Wheelchair access: Everything is on one level.
Toilets: Are inside.
Bookings: Bookings are not required. Come early to get a seat at the front. There is plenty of room in our new venue.
See you there for fabulous night.